Will Blogging Go The Way of The Dinosaur?

By Jyme Mariani
ASBPE National Treasurer

Let me start by being honest.

I don’t usually blog, at least not willingly. Every month, my job forces me to post two entries, on the first and third Tuesday of the month. After that, I’m pretty much blogged out.

I don’t regularly read anyone’s blogs. I read newsletters that are delivered to my inbox, but that’s about it. I don’t have the time to troll the blogs to find as my assistant editor calls them “interesting tidbits.” Like a bad date, I’m just not “into them.”

Anyway, I received a tip on Wired from ComNtell, a newsletter I receive titled Twitter, Flickr, Facebook Make Blogs Look So 2004. Take a look and see what you think -- and if you agree.

Labels: ,

Comments:
As evidenced by the Wired article, you're obviously not the only one who feels this way. Also, I'm all in favor of controversial blog posts (even one's with which I completely disagree).

I'll start off by noting that blogs--with their comments feature--are perhaps the best medium for drawing reader feedback.

Also, from a practical standpoint, time spent trolling for blog posts can be drastically reduced by setting up a feed reader such as Bloglines.

Facebook has actually turned me on to some new blogs. Some of my favorite bloggers are now among my FB friends. FB features like a notice that appears on my newsfeed when my friend updates her blog, prompt me to read every post.

The trend toward professionalization in the blogosphere is a good thing. Without the rise of professionally produced blogs such as Life Hacker etc., most blog content would continue to be widely viewed as a less than credible source of information.

It's worth the time and effort to develop an appreciation for blogs. There are some really great blogs that have helped make my life better.

Writing blog posts without regularly visiting and appreciating good blogs, is sort of like writing a book without ever having enjoyed a novel.

As B2B journalists we are particularly well positioned to stand out in the blogosphere. Just look at the success Harry McCracken has had. Just a few months after launching is new blog The Technologizer, Harry is already seeing over 1 million page views in a month.

ASBPE will examine this phenomenon more closely in its next Webinar on Nov. 17.
# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : October 30, 2008 at 10:32 AM
 
Here's information and a link to registration for the Nov. 17 Webinar Steve mentions: www.asbpe.org/webinars/webinars.htm
# posted by Blogger Martha Spizziri : November 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home