How edgy are your business cards?






By Tonie Auer
ASBPE Blog Committee Chairwoman and DFW Chapter President


Yoni Greenbaum at "editor on the verge" blogged about the concept of keeping in touch with sources and being accessible as a writer to the public. He has a twist on business cards that includes other ways to access the writer such as including your links to MySpace or FaceBook on your actual business card.

I don't know that I like that idea. Personally, on MySpace, I have pictures of me in a Dallas Cowboys jersey with a giant Tony Romo as my background. My Playlist includes Three Days Grace and Seether. I don't think this is really how I want to project myself professionally on my business card. I suppose others may have more professional MySpace pages and I could create one, but it seems like one more thing that I have to deal with and I'm not all about that. My email and my phone number seem enough to me.

Am I wrong or just outdated?
Tonie Auer is the president of the DFW Chapter of ASBPE and the national blog committee chairwoman.

Labels: ,

Comments:
Well, I wouldn't include links for Myspace and Facebook but I would certainly include a link for my LinkedIn profile. If you're not familiar with it, LinkedIn is sort of a myspace for professionals and it is a great networking space.
# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : February 12, 2008 at 9:51 AM
 
You're evidently not alone in your thinking. Around the time you posted this, someone sent me this article about people trying (unsuccessfully) to completely erase their Facebook profiles. The main example they use in the story is a guy who wanted to remove his Facebook profile because too many of his coworkers were also on Facebook and might see personal information that he didnt' necessarily want to spill over into his professional life.

I also thought the above-linked article was interesting because seems to contradict the idea that the younger generation isn't concerned about privacy -- or at least, hint that that might change as they enter the working world. The guy mentioned in the story is 34, so you could argue that he's not part of the generation that grew up on the Internet, but I think it'll be interesting to see what happens. I'd expect to see the current college-age generation making changes to their online profiles as they enter the working world. But who knows? Maybe the next generation will have different ideas about mixing personal and working life.
# posted by Blogger Martha Spizziri : March 3, 2008 at 2:54 PM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home